Following this week’s sewing theme, this evening I set to work on creating my first sloper!
Jason came over and helped me get down all my measurements properly — thank goodness he did too, because it seems there are many more tricky measurements to take than I had initially anticipated! Center back to shoulder point and shoulder to shoulder proved especially difficult to measure.
With all the numbers taken down and double-checked (and corrected :P), I’m finally able to draft fitted slopers for myself!
For my first, I started with the bodice-front sloper. It took me only about an hour to make, and that was really only because of a grave mistake I made with the dart on my first attempt. All in all, the process was pretty painless, though not without a few bumps along the way :)
I still have to draft the bodice-back sloper and then cut both the front and back out on muslin (or in my case, some vile blue cotton cloth I have from a quilt I made in 2000). I need to fit these first trials on to my body (another Jason visit, I expect) and correct the slopers where necessary… then repeat the process. THEN I will have fitted bodice-front and -back slopers for myself.
I am so proud! Maddie seems to like it too.
This process is so fulfilling — learning and creating, math and design… my brain is happily full :)View Comments / Leave a Comment →